miércoles, 19 de junio de 2013

I confess not knowing football, or anything (for English speaking people).

Football (soccer for Americans)is a weird sport. Yesterday I saw the match Uruguay vs Spain. What a complicated wake up the next day!
The Confederations Cup is like a summer tournament but in pre-summer modality. Not sure in what conditions the teams arrive, also an opportunity to test players and the opponent always plays. Difficult to judge.
The Spaniards (including all players) were splendid. They magnificent played during the first 30 minutes, sweeping the opponent. No the absurd "tiqui-taca" that make me sleeping . Pressure, recovery, support, precision, all players close together; clear and fast movements. Even players, who offer me many doubts, played very well, as Cesc, Soldado, Padro, Xavi (from Tarrasa, Spain), Alba, Arbeloa. Regarding Casillas, I will not comment because he was not involved in the match really.
Uruguay lost in translation. All the cracks, Uruguayan strikers, disappeared. Those who want to come to Madrid next season. Those players cost... a lot of  euros. The Uruguayan players showed discipline, order and ... a little bit more. Powerless.
Why did Spain offer me so many doubts? Why the unrest?
I think there are two reasons:
First , I do not know about football, at least at the level of television commentators. Those who say that Xavi (from Tarrasa, Spain) is the best player in Spanish football history and Casillas the best goalkeeper. How weak is the memory !
I know it is not relevant because the commentators have traditionally many inconsistencies, but if it is true confirms my diagnosis. I do not know football and I'll never know Second , I feel envious that Real Madrid players are not really represented. It must be true because this year we have not won anything and eventually something has failed.
Suddenly two situations pass through my mind.
First , the final phase of the match when we go into chaos, and a team lost long time almost recovered. Then defects arise, situations of danger, doubts, goalkeeper movements, poor defensive, mistake defending corners, and I say to my self, watch!, you do not know about football, it is a mirage.
Second , I see the Spaniards sub 21 team and I like many players more than the Uruguayans "cheap cracks" and more than many of those who play in the first Spaniards team. Player belonging to Real Sociedad and Malaga, mostly. I even think that the coach does not get everything they have and I say again, watch !, you do not know about football remember. It is another mirage. Listen to those who know although you do not understand what they say.
And I remain calm because time put everyone in place. A glorius Spaniard poet would say "sadder than a bullfighter on the other side of the Iron Curtain".

Food for thought

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario